Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Go RenderRan! Go!

When i first started this renderer I was writing the images directly to disk. Opening the image with a viewer program every time I rendered something got old (and boring really quick). Since I wanted to simplify things I used the QT toolkit to create a simple window that would display the image that had been saved on disc, once the render was done. This made things a lot better, but the big problem was that i could not see the image being generated, I had to wait until the image was done to view it. So if the render was completely wrong, I didn't know it until the whole image was finished. This was a little frustrating so I decided to make the raytracer work with buckets like most "real" renderers do. Figuring out the bucketing algorithm was easy, but getting the QT window to update dynamically as the buckets where being rendered took a bit of digging around. Eventually I got it to work, so, here you have it... buckets!!




The renderer runs quite faster than it appears in this video,
but the recording software seems to slow it down

No comments:

Post a Comment